Sunday, November 1, 2009

New And Exciting...Everyday...

This cocoa is really yummy.  Kicking back in the la-z-boy, watching game four of the world series, rooting for the Yankees, and enjoying a quiet weekend at home...how could it get any better...


Halloween weekend 2009 passed quietly, which was a pleasant surprise when compared to years passed.  Spent most of the evening watching game three of the series and loving the fact that NY took the lead 2 - 1 and kept the fire burning in Philadelphia.  Both teams are incredible and all the players are fired up to make a run for the championship.  Needless to say, it is a great game this year.  (Go Yankees!!!)


In the job market, within the last 3 days, there have been a couple of new developments.  My current job, the office assistant, is going to take a turn and, ultimately, end.  After only a week behind the desk I'm taking my leave and making my way towards the town of Ignacio to work for SUCAP.  The South Ute Community Action Program was in need of a teen coordinator and I just happened to fit the bill.  I'm really excited to be a part of this team.  Everyone that is associated with this organization is progressive, positive thinking, and dedicated.  Just like the Boys & Girls club, the teen program in Ignacio is the next step to making progress in my educational career.  The benefits are great as well.  This job is salaried, has health insurance, is paying mileage and, upon completion of the job's term, will provide an educational stipend which I can use towards my master's degree.  I simply can't turn it down and it is definitely the job for which I've been searching.  Starting Tuesday it's a whole new ball game...so to speak.  The week should be interesting and can't wait to see where the new opportunity takes me.


Musically, I was sounding fairly decent playing Thursday afternoon.  Lead with the big band is a unique experience and it's definitely taking it's toll.  I'm finding that I have to work twice as hard to keep my solo chair chops in shape and keeping that dark sound that I love is even harder since I started playing lead.  For those of you out there who want to play lead but love that dark solo sound, remember that lead playing is bright, and it takes lots of practicing in both facets to keep them alive and healthy...and in balance.  Lots of long tones and warm downs to keep that darker sound is what it's taking to keep my sound dark when I need it to be.  Damn, who knew it would be long tones and flexibility studies that keep my playing the way I want to play.


Loving every minute of it and making the most of each day is where I am right now.  Just have to stay positive and stay consistent.  Making music one note at a time and taking it one day at a time.  We'll see what happens next...


Ciao!

1 comment:

phryGIAN said...

I totally know what you mean about the bright vs. dark stuff
I want to play in our school's Afro-Cuban ensemble soooo bad but, i'm already way to bright as it is for classical stuff. Such a conundrum. Glad your job worked out for you! it's good the world out there isn't wearing you down