Thursday, March 19, 2009

Of Art, Furniture, and PEOPLE...

The world of visual art is, most certainly, a force with which to be reckoned.  The meshing of creative minds is always something of a challenge, but when you manage the theater in which the art will be housed, that meshing becomes incredible static.  I thought that I had been doing fairly well, negotiating with groups and individuals, using my "people" skills to their best.  Little did I know that I would be in for a challenge with the folks from our local radio station, who, by the way, are hosting the little art show in question.

People are different, unique, and at times, fickle.  I'm learning that, even after years of experience of "dealing" with people, I can still learn some new tricks and tips from meeting and greeting the new ones.  Negotiating with people about individual issues is something at which I've always been very strong.  I'm now being educated, first hand, on how to retain and maintain peoples faith and good graces, while arbitrating multiple variables concerning a theater.  Lighting, sound, tech crews, seating and floor space, bar management, etc., etc., etc...

I guess you could say that my "good natured" side has become stronger and being able to stay firm while trying to "kill them with kindness" is something that is being honed as a skill.  Needless to say, thanks to hard work and numerous meetings, phone calls, and assertive discussions, the event tonight will be a hit.

So, here's to the folks from our local radio stations and the artists who are participating in the event.

Ciao!!!

1 comment:

Alex said...

Hey, I like your blog. I'm following it. I have a blog also, I'd love if you'd follow mine. Thanks!

http://thegayatheist.blogspot.com/