Thursday, August 20, 2009

Spinney Rooms And Long Tones...

The last day and a half have been the most trying with the cast on my arm. Yesterday was the first time it felt like the cast was weighing my arm down to the floor. Keeping it elevated has been the best piece of advice so far. It really relieves the stress and helps with the "end of the day" soreness that has been creeping in around the break point and my upper forearm. Needless to say Tylenol has been a lifesaver as I'm not too keen on medicating with the percocet that the doc prescribed. So far I've only taken two of the prescription pills. Each time the effects are strange, spinney, woozy, sleepy...and I never really like feeling that way. So, I guess I'll stick with the Tylenol endure some of the throbbing.

Practicing has been a little slower than I would have liked but, as the trumpet is such a visceral instrument, I'm having to remember to take baby steps when trying to finger through some of the faster technical studies. Jazz is my love and I'm already chomping at the bit to get back on the horse...for lack of better cliche phrases...lol.

Anyways, just buzzing tonight and going to work through some long tone studies. Always a relaxing process are long tones and, with the upcoming gig next week, it will prove a great resistance measure taken.

The first run today down the highway was a unique experience as well. Running with this cast makes my arm tingle. It feels weird and I can only assume it's the increased blood flow that is causing the arm to feel that way. After a while I became used to it, but let me say that it feels very strange and other worldly.

The music is coming and I'm hopeful that the gig next week will be bright and successful. Until next time...

Ciao!

No comments: